Winter in Hawaii

I finally got to spend some quality time in Hawaii!  I left the day after Thanksgiving and stayed through the first week of February.  It was a wonderful trip and I hope to do it again.  Corey got the chance to come out for the month of January.  We had our rough spots, but overall we made it work.

I surfed almost everyday, but had to take a little time off for injury.  On a day when it was too big (at least triple overhead if not more), I paddled out to the point and watched.  I made the mistake of trying to catch a couple waves and getting caught on the inside.  When I should have ditched my board, I tried to duck dive and got smashed.  My board got ripped out of my hands and I hurt my shoulder pretty bad.  This is when I had to take some time off.  I learned a valuable lesson that day...

Luckily, I have a great friend Adria who hung out with me and taught me the best two player game I have found to date. 'Go, Stop' a Korean Flower card game is so much fun!  We also did some hiking, ate great food and just enjoyed life.  Through Adria I met a lot of wonderful people who I got to share my time with and create fun memories.  It seems the people who live there are very happy, carefree people.  I like that.

Kristen got a chance to come out for a week so I showed her around the island.  We did everything from Polihali to Waimea, Spouting Horn, Maidens Bath and we hiked up to the first waterfall on the Kalalau trail.  We got to tan naked at Secrets and enjoy a lot of other beaches as well.  We had a really great time.

The surf was so much fun.  I learned a lot and got quite a bit better.  I still have a ways to go, but I finally caught some bigger waves.  I hope I can make it back to Kauai next winter...

Some of the pics below are from Kauai and some from Maui (spent a little time on Maui as well).













Comments