Nicaragua

I never knew how poor of a country Nicaragua was until I got the chance to experience it.  It was a life changing experience.  These people have nothing, live in what might as well be cardboard boxes, but are so happy.  I didn't run into a single person who spoke any English so I got a chance to really work on my Spanish skills (or lack of).

This was mainly a surf trip so Corey and I spend most of the time at a surf camp near the beach.  We got a  chance to meet some other cool surfers and also had a lot of time where we were the only people in the water.  That was amazing.  It doesn't get much better than surfing an awesome break without crowds.

The house we stayed in was all screened in and had no AC or much of anything else.  It was run on Solar Panels so we really had to conserve energy.  We could use fans while we slept, but other than that we didn't use much power.  There was a pool table, so while taking breaks from the hot sun, I got to work on my pool skills (I still suck).

The food was amazing.  All fresh cooked local food: rice/beans, fish, chicken, pork, beef, veggies and lots of fresh fruit.  I ate a fish eye for the first (and last) time.  All the help around the house was super nice and helpful.

Corey and I took at bus back to the airport and stopped in Masaya along the way to see a little city life.  We ate local food, did some shopping and met more locals.  I can't wait to go back to Nicaragua and just take the buses everywhere. They are so easy and super fun.  They are crowded and you have to hop on and off pretty fast.  One of these weekends, I'm just going to fly into Managua and take the bus from city to city to check out the rest of the country.  I can't wait to go back!


























Comments