San Francisco Does Not Suck

When I was growing up in California I never really appreciated San Francisco. Every time I went there it was cold, gloomy and dirty. This weekend I got to experience a different part of the Bay Area by spending time with locals.

I had all kinds of firsts this weekend. The first being when I got off the plane in Oakland, I got to take BART into San Francisco. I have lived in Northern California the majority of my life and I have been to San Francisco more times than I can count, but this was the first time taking advantage of SF's public transportation. It was a nice ride and it only takes about 45 minutes to get from OAK to the Montgomery exit downtown.

Saturday we went for the nicest ride ever! Who knew you could ride outside in such comfortable weather in the middle of January?!? We started near the Marina, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, went through Sausalito, into Ross, past Nicasio, across the Purple (but no longer actually purple) bridge into Point Reyes Station. Where at this point we had a sandwich and some pastries before beginning our long journey back. The ride was a total of 75 miles and this was another first for me. I don't think I have ever ridden over 20 miles on my bike outside. I have gone 56 miles on my trainer, but I am not even sure that counts! The weather was perfect, the views were spectacular and the company was great.

I started the ride with Bill, Greg and Christi. We then picked up a couple other girls in Marin County and Bill left us not too far into the ride. Christi, Greg and I were the only ones that ended up doing the entire ride. Next time I am out there I hope to go all the way to the lighthouse which makes it a 120 mile ride.

Sunday was a day of rest and relaxation. It started with a scooter ride to visit Jordan at the Flea Market. After listening to Jordan barter with people for a fun filled hour, we joined a bunch of other San Franciscans at a bar in the Mission to watch the Jets destroy the Patriots. Everyone knows I am not into football, but it was an excuse to hang out with friends and eat good food so I had a great time. The night ended with a nice walk to the small pier next to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Monday and my flight home came way too fast. Christi took me on the run they do for the 'Escape From Alcatraz' triathlon and we added a little distance for good measure so I did about 10 miles with a good portion being on the beach and a lot of climbing steep stairs. Finishing off the day with a BBQ at a friends was a fun way to end the trip. Then back on BART shortly after to head to the airport.

I have always been a little anti-San Francisco, but this weekend has totally changed my outlook on San Francisco being in my future. If the right job ever came up, I would consider moving there...and this is saying a lot since until now I have never considered leaving the Salt Lake area.

I brought my camera, but didn't take a single picture! I really need to start working on this.

Comments