Surfing Siargao, Philippines

The Philippines have always been a dream of mine to visit.  I'm glad I finally got a chance and quite a unique one!  It's fun to have an excuse to travel off the beaten path to a place that is less 'discovered'.....or so we thought.  I had heard about some great surf breaks near the island of Siargao so we went there!

I was shocked when we got there, but this island has blown up!  It was so crowded and overrun by surfers looking to score.  Because of this, finding empty waves was a hassle.  For the most part we surfed crowded waves...not fun.  But we did go off the beaten path a little and have a couple epic sessions all to ourselves.  I won't say where, but one of the places had perfect, 100m left, peeling, barrels....all to ourselves.  If I went back to this island, I would definitely have a better idea of where to go to score waves alone.  Apart from that session and a couple others, we mostly fought for waves and lots of people were dropping in.

When we were not surfing, we cruised around on scooters, drank Red Horse, played Eukre, ate random food and explored.  I loved that there were not many big vehicles on the island. It was mostly just scooters and motorbikes.  We rode from town to town, discovered new areas, ate new food, met new people and saw what the little island had to offer.

Jordan dove one morning and said it was horrible.  Apparently there is only one dive shop on the island and they were not friendly and didn't seem to know what they were doing.  Because of this, I chose not to dive. At one point I would love to go to another island and dive because I have heard there are some amazing spots in the Philippines.

I lost a fin at this surf session.

Lots of towns build right over water.

Getting my tire fixed on the scooter for less than a dollar. I drove for a few miles on a flat tire to find a mechanic.

My surfboard only flew off the scooter rack once.  I was happy no one ran over it behind me!

Cloud 9. Crowded.


Drying coconut

Comments