Tri Season Begins - 2017 Great Clermont Triathlon

I like to start the year off with the same race to judge where my fitness is. I was curious to see how much fitness I had lost due to taking time off while in Hawaii and while I did lose some fitness I didn't lose as much as I thought I would.  I've been working my butt off to get back in shape and it shows.  Alia and I were originally going to drive down to Clermont the morning of the race, but our friend Sue offered for us to stay at her place in Ocala so it would cut the morning drive time in half.  It was wonderful!

I raced well for the level of my fitness and I finished 1st in my age group and 5th overall.  I made a mistake that I never have before which ended up costing me about 5 minutes and a much better overall placement.  I made a wrong turn on the bike!!!  I know this course so well so I have no idea what I was thinking.  Wrong turn or not, my bike and run were both slower than last year, but not by a whole lot.  I did swim faster than last year (not by a lot, but still faster) so that was exciting!  Yaro and I did a pretty big swim brick a few weeks before the race and I think it payed off.  We will be doing it again before Haines City for a little boost to our swim.

Overall, I'm pretty happy about the day and the wrong turn was a great learning experience. I now know that I need to always be on my toes and pay attention even when I am pushing really hard.  This is especially true on a course I know well because I get complacent in paying attention to the turn arrows.



Comments