Another Win in the Bag (Jax Series #3)

What a hot day for a race.  Throw in a little wind and it was a really challenging day. 

The water was surprisingly calm, but there were some strong currents to overcome.  A swim that generally takes me about 22 minutes took 26 this time around.  There was much less sea life this time around which helped with the nerves.  By the time I got on the bike, the wind was picking up a little and it made the course more challenging than last time.  By about mile 3, I was in first place and I then led for the rest of the race.  The bike is an out-and-back so half way through you get a good idea of where you stand.  I was a couple minutes ahead, but all the people behind me were in groups drafting which was kinda of a bummer.  Not to sound like a complainer, but it bothers me when I see that in a race.

I got into transition with a pretty big lead which was great since I wasn't feeling all that well on the run.  The heat was getting to me and I ran slower than usual.  The run is shaded which was nice and it is also an out-and-back.  When I got to the turn around point, I realized I was about 4 minutes ahead of the next runner. Apparently everyone was suffering with the heat.  I never saw anyone close behind me the rest of the time which was nice so I could just put on the cruise control and raced to the finish.

The DRC races are pretty unorganized and we ended up spending many more hours to get through the awards ceremony.  It's always nice hanging out with our crew though.  We relaxed in the grass and enjoyed not having to suffer anymore!

On another note, I was picked for a sponsorship with Rocket Science Sports which is pretty awesome!  I don't know all the details yet, but I'm looking forward to supporting a great company!


Comments