Diving in Roatan

When Jordan originally told me about this trip I had no idea where Roatan was.  I had to look it up.  It appears to be part of the Bay Island which are part of Honduras. I love to dive and this area is home to the second largest barrier reef in the world.  How could I say no?

I was amazed by how vivid and alive the reef was.  I've been to so many places where the reef is destroyed so it was nice to see what one looks like when it is taken care of.  I was actually surprised though at how little fish there were.  In Hawaii, we have a lot more fish. After talking with some of the locals they said it is due to the over-fishing and has not always been that way.

Even the snorkeling was pretty amazing right off the beach.  There were some fun swim-thrus and lots of pretty valleys to swim around.

We did spend time doing other things apart from diving/snorkeling, but not a ton.

We took an island tour and learned some interesting things from our local guide.  We went to Hole in the Wall which is a bar that is only accessible by water.  I had been to a couple places like this in the BVI's and I love it!  Being only able to get to a place by boat has something special about it (hence me wanting to live on a boat and travel the world).  We also checked out the mangrove tunnels and he took us to Punta Gorda where they have a local festival on Sunday nights with lots of local food and dancing.  He told us stories of drug lords that would use Roatan as a fueling point, but it sounds like most of them have been eradicated (that we know of).

I enjoyed the time in Roatan and loved the diving.  Next time I'll have to check out Utila and hope to run into some Whale Sharks.

Relaxing and Hole in the Wall

Relaxing at our house (lots of relaxing on this trip)

We got invited to a local party on the water

The crew!

Comments