Race Season 2015 Begins - Florida 70.3

Having been injured and lacking training the last 6 weeks, I'm pretty happy about the results of this race.  I finished in 4:36:56.  That is more than 12 minutes off my time from last year and more than 23 minutes off my time from three years ago.  Taking 12 minutes off a race in one year shows me how consistent training pays off.

I had taped up the arch of my foot for support the morning of the race and hoped the tape would stay on through the swim so I didn't have to re-tape in T2.  I lucked out and the tape held!  I can't wait to be through these foot issues so I don't have to worry about this anymore.

The Swim
I did not really enjoy this swim in previous years, but this time it went really smooth.  There were more weeds in the water this year, but it didn't really bother me.  I was at the front line when the gun went off and I expected a mad house of swimmers jockeying for position, but it wasn't like that at all!  It was a smooth start and I had almost no contact with others the whole time.  The course it shaped like an 'M', so there are lots of turns and I expected lots of chaos in the corners, but it wasn't that way at all.  For some reason, it was one of the smoothest swims I have experienced in a bigger race.  It was a wave start so after the first few minutes I passed people the whole time, but it never seemed overly crowded.  I think I saw swim caps from at least 6 different groups before me so that's always fun!  I came out of the water feeling pretty good (maybe I didn't push hard enough) and I was 8th in my division.

T1 went fairly smooth and I love having the status of AWA.  They put us at the front of the transition so that meant not having to run through all kinds of people with a bike. Now I understand why they put the Pro's in the front!

The Bike
When I checked my bike into transition the day before the race, I dropped my bike and my Speedfil water bottle bracket on the back broke off.  I usually carry three bottles (one up front and two on my back bracket), but I wasn't sure this was going to happen with a broken bracket.  I attached one bottle holder to the frame (there is only one place) and I zip tied a bottle holder to the back of my seat.  This seemed like it would be fine until about 30 seconds into the bike, my rear bottle ejected so I was left with only two.  I was bummed at first, but then, after finishing the bike and doing quite well I realized I only need two bottles!  Now I can just attach one to the back (more securely this time) and have my one up front and call it good.  Since my swim wave was one of the last to start I knew I would be passing a lot of people on the bike.  I think I constantly passed people until the last couple miles where it started to thin out.  And like all other races, there was lots of drafting going on.  I didn't see many officials so they must have been at Starbucks, drinking coffee.  I worked hard and was happy with my bike time.

T2 also went fairly smooth and it was great being in front of the transition so I got to drop my bike off quickly and get in my running shoes (my sweet new Zoots!) instead of running through half the transition with bare feet.

The Run
This run always gets me.  It is much hillier than I anticipate and it is hot and exposed.  I wore a visor this year and I think that was a mistake.  My head got sun burned and it did not allow me to put ice in my hat like I did in the past.  The one thing I do like about the course is it is three loops.  This way I could mentally break it into three segments.  The bad part about the three loop course is you know about the hills and sun exposure you get to experience in the future.  I tried new gels this race called carbBOOM! and I loved them!  Having dealt with stomach issues in the past, I love finding nutrition that my body can handle!  I also love how my new Smith glasses match my new kit! (pics below)

Overall, I'm happy about my race in Haines City this year and I have a feeling I'll be back next year.

This was also my first race wearing my new team kit for Team Zoot!  It's a great looking kit and I love having other team members out on the course to cheer on along the way.  It's awesome racing for a team with products I use and appreciate!

Nutrition:
Since I had to wake up a little earlier than normal to get to transition, I ate about 3:30 out from the race so I had to change up my morning plan a little.  I had my normal bagel with peanut butter for breakfast, then I had a whole PR Bar about 1:15 out and a carbBOOM! gel at 40 minutes out.  I also had two salt tabs the night before and two with breakfast.  On the bike I had two PR Bars and 1.33 gels along with two bottles of 1.5 scoops of Scratch and 1 Nuun.  On the run I had my flask with 4 gels combined with water that I sipped on the whole time and chewed on a Nuun tablet about half way through.  I supplemented with water from the aid stations on the bike and run.





Comments