HOT! Triathlon 2014

Two years ago when I did this race, it was Hot! just like the name states.  Everyone really lucked out this year because the temperature was not bad and there was plenty of cloud coverage.  I remembered having a hard time with the swim and it was the same this year.  It seems longer than normal.  I felt pretty good during the swim, but when I got out of the water I was told there were two guys that came out over 2 minutes ahead of me!  I wasn't sure how that happened!  I was so rushed in transition that I had only taken my swim skin half off and I got on my bike with it around my waist.  I didn't realize this until I was a couple minutes in and I felt the material flapping.  I tucked it in best I could and kept going.  I was determined to catch these guys on the bike, but they were pretty far out!  But on the second lap I did it, I passed both of them and took the lead having the fastest bike split of the day by over three minutes.  There were more hills than I remember on the bike, but it went smoothly and I made up the time I had lost.

When I got off the bike (I remembered at this point to finish taking off my swim skin), I got to run the first mile out front by myself, but I got passed by two guys a little over a mile in.  I tried to stay on their tails, but I couldn't hold their pace and I finished a minute down in third place.  I did have my fastest 10k time of 40:40 so I was stoked about that!  It was a good race and I was happy to have some good competition.  Once the awards started the sun came out and it got HOT!  I was glad to have lucked out on the weather during the race.

Averaged 238 watts on the bike. Run felt good at this wattage.

Comments