Jax Olympic #2

I came into this day feeling a little tired and beat up.  Not because I trained a lot this week, but I have just been feeling off.  After winning last week, everyone on our team came up to me before the race and asked how well I thought I would do.  This made the nerves even worse, I need to figure out how to get them under control.

The minute the gun went off, I was already feeling a lot better. I ran into the water and with my first dive, my goggles filled with water....I wasn't off to the best start.  I guess I need to put them on tighter next time.  I was in the lead pack again, but a little further back this time.  There were a lot of jelly fish again, but not the ones that sting.  The swim was fun, but I need to get quite a bit faster so I can lead the swim instead of hang out in the front pack.

I was feeling a bit rough on the first part of the bike and I never felt great, but I ended up having a pretty good split.  There were a lot of cars that got in the way, but I ended up finishing the bike in first place unscathed.

I like going into the run in first place, but I know I will be fighting for position by the end.  My run has gotten better, but I still need to get about a minute/mile faster to be where I want to be (for now).  About a mile into the run, two guys passed me.  I held onto them for a minute, but their pace was way out of my range so I backed off so I didn't blow up.  Then, about 4 miles into the run, I was passed by a guy named Nick, but I was able to stick with him.  He saved me on this one since he was running faster than I would have been.  With a half mile to go, I decided to do some work and sped past Nick.  He couldn't hold on so I ended up finishing in third overall.

I'm happy with the results, but it's hard when you get a first place and you come back and don't finish as well.  Every race brings different challenges and racers so I need to remember this! 


Comments