Kauai 2012

I went to the big island last November and I was surprisingly unimpressed. I didn't have a desire to return to Hawaii until my friend Corey convinced me another island was worth the trip. I am glad he convinced me. I wish I would move to Kauai, it is a magical place. If I didn't have Daria, I would have not come back.

Corey and I mainly surfed, but we also did some hiking and exploring. We saw lush terrain, beautiful waterfalls and crazy wildlife. Corey even got 'attached' by a sea turtle (that's another story). The surf was good, but would have been a little bigger. We got to Kauai right after a long storm so a couple days we were there, it was pretty flat, but we enjoyed other parts of the island when there was no surf.

I met Adria in LAX waiting to fly to Lihue. Corey and I ended up hanging out with her quite a bit. She get us a bunch of great restaurant recommendations and on our last day took us on a hike to a waterfall where we swam around it, underneath it and behind it. I did half the hike in my flip flops and the other half in barefoot. The trail was not as friendly on the feet as the hike I did on the big island, but it was much more be beautiful and there was an amazing waterfall at the end!

Since Adria was a Bikram teacher, she answered all my dying questions that I had never asked my instructors so I really hope I continue to excel in my yoga classes and get the most out of it. I can't wait to continue my training/practice.

Another area we tried to visit was the Blue Room. This is a cave where 'apparently' you swim underneath some rock to a hidden cave and the water reflects the light making it a 'blue room'. We swam all over the open water, but no one was brave enough to swim under the water to find the cave. It was a fun experience, but at one point, I would really like to find this blue room.

Corey and I also checked out the south side of the island and saw some of his friends down there. We hiked from Polihale, across a bunch of rocks to see more of the Napali coastline. During this hike, we saw mountain goats and Humpback Whales!

I ate more fish on this trip than the rest of my whole life combined!!! It is crazy how when you are in this kind of environment, the fish tastes fantastic and it is all you want. I had Monchong, Ahi and Ono all for the first time and probably a bunch of others I didn't realize were new to me. My favorite was the Monchong, but they were all fantastic! I am in California now for a couple weeks and I tried a fish taco last night and I couldn't eat it...it just wasn't the same.

Corey and I staying in Kapaa so it was a good central place for us to see a lot of the island, but we ended up heading to the same place almost everyday. Hanalei Bay. This is where I want to live for a while...and I will. Hopefully this upcoming winter. I will stay updated, but my plan is to fly there from Dads house on my Thanksgiving trip and stay as long as I see fit. Two months is my plan as of now, but we will see what seems realistic as it gets closer.

Now it is time to start training for Ironman Lousiville, KY. I have been biking and running a little, but my real training will start in a couple weeks. It will consume my life but I can't wait! I really hope to take it a little more serious than I did last time and do much better.

Below are some pictures from Hawaii in no particular order...












Comments