St Augustine Summer Tri

This race is so much fun because so many people from our club race and there is a huge support crew!  Last year, I got second overall, so I knew I really had to push myself if I wanted first this time around.  The course was great, it was organized and the volunteers seemed to know what was going on.  The ocean was calm, there wasn't much wind and the temps were not too bad in the morning.  This all made for a great tri!

Swimming to the first buoy was brutal with all the other athletes.  It was crowded and everyone was fighting for that first position.  Once we made the first turn, the pack evened out and we all settled into our pace.  At the end of the swim, two others were right in front of me, but I passed them before we got out of transition which made for a really nice bike.  By the time I got to the turn around on the bike, I was ahead of the next person by a couple minutes, but I wanted to make the gap even bigger so I didn't have to kill myself on the run so I put the hammer down.  By the time I got into T2, I had almost a 4 minute lead.  I eased into my run and just enjoyed it.  It was awesome having lots of local people we knew cheering and it really makes the race a lot more fun. I also liked running across the Vilano bridge since we do so much flat training around here.  I ended in first with a time of 52.54.

I was happy to make our local team proud and I hope I can keep this winning streak as I get into some harder races.









Comments